ADD & ADHD
We do not "treat" Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
However, since ADHD appears as a neurological disorder and chiropractic care helps reduce nervous system disturbances, many parents who want a natural, non-drug solution for their child have found chiropractic care helpful, even miraculous.
What are some common symptoms?
- Inattention, Hyperactivity also being easily distracted.
- Sitting still or difficulty concentrating
- Common and easily distracted by activities and noise
- Impulsive thoughts and behaviors
- Constant moving—fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs
What to do first?
- Eliminate all artifical sweeteners and sugars.
- Determine if an allergy involved such as dairy or gluten and eliminate.
- Remove preservatives, food dyes and additives from the diet.
- Focus on organic foods grown without herbicides or pesticides.
- If possible reduce the use of cleaning agents, fabric softeners, detergents and other chemicals.
Whether your child has the symptoms associated with ADHD or not, these are wise choices.
Traditional Medical Treatment
Controlling symptoms of ADHD in a medical or artificial approach is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®.
Parents in the community are starting to become more aware of the dangers of Ritalin®. This drug is a schedule II controlled substance related to, and producing similar effects as, amphetamines and cocaine. Because of these very dangerous side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, and the sheer low numbers the drug actually helps is the cause for many parents to look for alternatives. And more and more are wisely turning to Chiropractic and our office.
Chiropractic: Pure and Natural
The increase in ADHD in our community is not a shortage of Ritalin®! Instead, as a trained pediatric Chiropractor we look for disturbances to the child’s nervous system. We almost always see problems caused by the spinal distortions(subluxations) in the upper neck.
In fact, this link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion, even a reversal of the normal neck curve. With a schedule of safe and natural chiropractic adjustments, these often resolve, reducing and nervous system tension